From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:06:13 -0400
> 2. Does overclocking a gfx card produce any result other than getting your
> 3DMark scores up?  I mean, is there any practical benefit in
> overclocking -
> like better quality in game pictures?  The quality is really all that
> interests me - I'm far more likely to play Dungeon Siege or Myst
> and ooh and
> ahh at the fantastic graphics than I am to rejoice over the speed
> at which I
> can react in Doom or Quake.

        To be honest over clocking only generally gives you more speed. That being
said, over clocking might allow you to enable more "quality" options that
you wouldn't normally be able to enable because rendering would become to
slow. This of course will depend on what your card can do and what games you
are interested in. It sounds like over clocking isn't something you should
bother with.

> 3. And re overclocking in general (cpu or gfx card), wouldn't it
> be simpler
> to buy something with more grunt to begin with?  Obviously, the more
> powerful product will cost more, but assuming that cost isn't a factor,
> wouldn't this be preferable?

        Over clocking is usually done to save money. However, in many cases over
clocking will be the only way to get the speed you want. This occurs when
one over clocks a card that is already "the fastest" out there. Frankly,
over clocking is not for anyone who doesn't know what they do, one is taking
risks that they might not fully understand. Personally I don't over clock
anything I own, and in fact my two servers are UNDER clocked, to improve
stability, lengthen lifetime, and save power. TTYL

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml