From:
Alan Eugene Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:43:04 +1000
I have obtained a home-burned CD with a number of GIS files.  When I
have tried to read these files on my  Debian GNU/Linux box with a
rather old 4X CD-ROM drive, a number of files have not been  read
successfully, giving read errors.  A second GNU/Linux box, also with
an older, slowish CD-ROM drive, gives errors on some files.  The
errors do not correspond between the two GNU/Linux boxes.  One file of
about 1.8MB is read by one box to about 1.2 Mb, while on the other box
less than 400Kb are read successfully.

My query is this: what compatibility problems will one  expect between
home-burned CD-Rs and regular CD-ROM drives?  What do my symptoms
suggest?  Do they suggest that I need to clean these drives?  (Guess I
should go ahead and buy a cleaning disk...)

Alan

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    [log in to unmask]   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org