From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:38:06 -0600
At 02:34 PM 10/15/2002, you wrote:
>Trying to deviate his attention to other thing that PC games I put a
>password in my MS 6368TL mobo BIOS so that my boy could only enter if I were
>there.
>At night I came back just to see how he was finishing a school work.. He
>confessed he found a universal password for that BIOS and that it seems
>there was nothing to do about it.
>I dont know that universal password. He surely did not open the case.
>Me myself had one password for chipset intel TX mobos.
>Any hardware way to avoid this violation other than blocking cmos writing?
>Roberto

Roberto,

I know you want to have control over the PC from your child, but
one thing I have learned as a father of two sons is that as they
grow up using PCs they become very capable.  I gave each of
my sons a new PC when they turned 2 years old, both state
of the art.  I have continued to update their system over the years
so that today they each have a state of the art system even today.

They are now 11 and 8 years old...  and the 11 years old uses Red
Hat Linux.  I have trouble from time to time with him setting up
Wan servers on the Internet...  they actually both assembled their
last PCs...   so, my point???  You have to let them grow and let
them experience PCs with the knowledge that they will do all sorts
of things you hope they should not, but they will.  Actually, you
should be proud of your son is learning about PCs and accept that
he may out-strip you in knowledge at some point.   Trying to keep
him out of the CMOS is probably a game you are going to create
between the two of you.  The more you strive to keep him out the
harder he will work to get in.   I would pat him on the head, learn
from him where and how he got this password and explain that
getting into the CMOS settings accomplishes little...  and could
cause real problems.

My best advice...  hope it helps.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.