From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:36:05 -0500
Hi Rob,
I strongly agree with Bruce, you seem to be having extraordinary bad luck.
 While a video card could be putting out a damaging signal,  my experience
is that this is so obvious in picture quality, you would shut down well
before any catastrophic damage occurred.  And if you had a short, you would
have to explain why your pc did not fry from the same spikes, so let's
assume they didn't occur.  As for your power, is your surge suppressor worn
out?  Does it have audible warning or lights or auto-shut-off when its
protection fails?  All components are not equal, some can withstand a good
deal more dirt in the power supply than others.  It has been a very long
time since I have seen a multi-plug surge suppressor with different values
for the 4 (or 6) plugs.  That may have been an economizing feature years
ago.

I too buy a fair amount of monitors.  I buy wholesale, and my distributor
changes brands every 3 months, always in search of better warranties, since
quality assurance is elusive no matter the brand.  Rule 1, get the best
warranty you can afford, I always get 3 years with cross-shipping.  Rule 2,
don't buy warranty extensions, better to save the money for the next
monitor.
Tom Turak

-------

>At 09:50 AM 3/27/1998   Rob Shane  wrote:
>>
>>I just recently have a monitor die. . . . . .
>>
>>My question is were should I look for a cause to this problems whereas
>>both monitors died aparently the same way. Could the problem be a
defective
>>video card........
>Apologize about not listing the equipment, even thought about it before I
>posted.
>The video card is a Hercules Dynamite Pro model D302, the first monitor
was
>a US Logic 17" model MM-700 and the second monitor was a Sylvania 15"
model
>S501P.
> The card was running with the drivers that Win95 recognized the card as
being,
>TSENG LABS W321.

TIA again
Rob Shane