From:
Susan Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:40:21 -0400
Steve Coldwell wrote:

>I need some information on NVRAM.... First of all , could someone explain
>its physical characteristics.
>Is it a chip? Is it situated on the motherboard?
>Can it be replaced? I have done extensive research on the internet, and find
>these answers downright elusive!

NVRAM stands for "Non Volatile RAM". When doing an internet search, I came
up with this:

http://www.demoworks.com/blocks/memory.htm

and this:

http://www.dalsemi.com/Prod_info/Memory/nvmodule.html

...from the Dallas semiconductor company. This is a quote from the first page:

>Dallas Semiconductor leads the world in Nonvolatile SRAM technology.
>Each module in this broad product family contains a low-power SRAM, a
>tiny lithium battery, and our own nonvolatile control chip. These
>components together form a nonvolatile memory capable of more than 10
>years of data retention without an external power supply. NV SRAM
>modules feature 70ns access times for reads and writes, limitless
>endurance, and automatic data protection when system power is turned
>off. These features mean that Dallas NV SRAMs can be read and written
>faster, more frequently and more safely than any other type of nonvolatile
>memory.

A good short definition of NVRAM was at the ZDnet Webopedia at
http://www.zdwebopedia.com/NVRAM.htm
which states in part that this memory retains its contents after power is
turned off (the reason it's called Non Volatile, as opposed to most other
types of RAM, which are volatile and lose their contents after power is
shut off.)

Unfortunately I too could not find a lot about what your error message
could mean, but perhaps another list member can enlighten us both on this.

Susan Sutherland