From:
Paul Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:51:20 +1200
Hi

I have a problem which happened just a few days ago. My daughter was playing Captain Keen on my computer when, in her words, it went all funny. She shut down the machine by powering off. Since then the system has developed the following (which a refresh of windows has not cured), All icons on the desktop have disappeared (but the files are still there as I can see them in the Desktop Folder through Windows Explorer), the right mouse button fails to operate on most actions (but not all, I can delete stuff with a right mouse click in the Favorites folder) and all that comes up on my start button is the help file, programs and winlogo changer at the top. The only way to shut down is to press the restart button or the main power button. That of course means that Windows does a scandisk everytime I start up. When I pressed Alt-F4 to try to shut down the computer I got a dialog box that read as follows: this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Now, not wanting to format my C: if I can avoid it, there's a heap of stuff I would have to transfer to a temporary drive, not to mention having to reinstall umpteen applications, can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>