From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:07:45 -0500
Michael,

Your question sounds like you are just beginning to scratch the surface of
networking.....

The short answer is that they are completely different (but combinable)
network solutions.

10Base-2 is a coaxial network that does not use a hub.
10Base-t is a twisted pair network which must have a hub for three or more
PCs.

Both networks are capable of 10Mb/s bandwidth.  And many 10Base-T hubs
have a BNC connection which can be used to add a 10Base-2 segment to the
network.

10Base-2 requires less cable. But 10Base-T is easier to troubleshoot when
there are communications problems.

-2 is wired directly from one PC to the next like so:
PCa---------PCb--------PCc-------PCd------PCe

-T requires an individual wire from each PC back to the hub.  It is
typically called a "star" configuration but it looks more like the spokes
on a bicycle wheel with the hub being at the center
and the PCs at the rim.

The -2 cable is more expensive, but does not need a hub which in a small
system like yours can mean a big money savings and also would reduce the
clutter of cables strung about the room.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====