From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 21:20:36 -0400
At 05:52 PM 4/14/2000, Joe Poteet wrote:
>When I run scandisk on this computer - PIII 500mhz, 128 mb ram,
>13 gig hdd - it will return this error msg before it finished the scan
>"Scandisk has found your top level folder is full.  Please remove
>files and try again."
>I have looked for an explanation of this msg, but have not found
>any answers.  Hopefully, this list will be able to point me in the
>right direction to resolve this problem.

Hi Joe

There is a limit to the number of files and folders that you
can have in the root directory of any disk drive. This has
been so since DOS days. With the advent of long file names,
this limit is even smaller because some long names can count
as more than one toward the limit...which still applies in Win9X.

So you probably need to move some of your files (or folders) from
the top level folder into other folders. (In other words, clean up
the top level folder. Don't just move a few files, move anything
that doesn't have to be in this folder...that is, be careful about
system files.) I imagine that scandisk might be trying to create
some temporary files in the root directory and has hit the file
number limit.

I forget whether the limit was 256. (Don't forget, folders in the
root directory count toward this limit...same as files. The limit
will be smaller if you have long names.) The limit does not exist
for lower level folders (i.e., subfolders).

This is my guess what that error message means.

Regards,
Bill

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions