From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:40:08 -0800
On 18 Mar 99, at 18:54, Kevin Runyan wrote:

> 1) How much more speed in MHz could I get through upgrading my system's
> CPU?

  You apparently have a Socket 7-based board, with some degree of split
voltage (required by MMX) support.  I believe there may have been a Pentium
266 model that would fit.
  The AMD K6-2/266 and /300 might also work, but the /300 at least needs a
2.2v core voltage and your board might not go below 2.8v.  If you can
identify the specific board, we could go look up the exact specs.  [If
the board supports 75, 83 or 100 MHz speeds, you may have additional
options.]

> 2) Does this upgrade actually replace the current CPU?

  Yes.

  In the 486 world, some makers soldered the original CPU to the board,
where it would remain (but be disabled) if an OverDrive processor was
inserted in the adjoining socket.  To my knowledge, nobody ever did that
on any Pentium systems.
  Socket 7 is specifically designed so that CPUs can be swapped out and
replaced fairly easily.

  Pentium OverDrive upgrades are generally MMX CPUs packaged with voltage
regulation and speed selection lines to allow them to be installed in older
Socket 5 motherboards.  Since you're already running an MMX processor, you
shouldn't need the OverDrive packaging.

> 3) How can I find out how to do this or have it done and how much should
> it cost?

  Hmmm...  Detach the fan/heatsink unit, which probably clips onto the
socket.  Lift the lever along the edge of the socket.  Lift out the old
CPU.  Insert the new, making sure that the marked corner corresponds to
the extra pinhole in the socket.  Close the lever, reattach the
fan/heatsink.  Check the multiplier and core voltage jumpers -- you will
need a manual for this motherboard....  Done.
  You should probably take static precautions when handling CPU chips;
you might prefer to have someone else do it.

> 4) Is an overdrive upgrade the same as overclocking?

  No.  Overclocking is running a component at a higher frequency than
certified by the manufacturer.  OverDrive is Intel's trademark for
newer CPUs packaged with supporting circuitry to allow them to be used
as an upgrade for older systems -- at a price premium which makes them
rarely cost-effective.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html