From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:02:08 -0700
I ran into a problem copying a very large file to my USB 2 drive. The USB
drive is a Hitachi 200 GB formatted to NTFS. When I try to copy a file that
is 106GB in size, the copy fails about 3/4 of the way through. The same
failure occurred on two tries. I have not tried it a third time. The error
message says that there was a possible hardware failure.

This particular Hitachi drive does periodically recalibrate itself. I do not
know if that is causing the problem, or if there is some problem with USB
and a large file. I did run chkdsk on the drive and all was fine. Also
copied the same amount of data to the drive, but split into smaller files
and all went well. Apparently the failure happens when there is a continuous
file transfer.

Just for reference, the first copy was using Windows Explorer, and the
second one used a CMD window with a COPY command.

Has anyone else run into similar problems?

Peter

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com