From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:10:52 -0600
At 12:54 PM 04/13/2000 , Bobby Sutton wrote:
>I have in the past modified the auto exec bat file and config sys file to
>optimize my win 95 Gateway
>
>Currently when I hit  mem  at c prompt it is reading 604 which aint bad
>
>Anyone got a good string to add in  like files = 40   and  setserve  etc ?
>What do you recommend ?
>
>Thanks, in advance
>
>Bobby Sutton
>
>Gateway 133 P5 XL ,200 mhz Intel overdrive added
>
>80 megs ram 1.6 WD HD
>otherwise std configuration running win 95A

When Windows95 first came out,  we tinkered with all sorts of old DOS settings
for the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, after years of optimizing DOS to run
as fast as possible.  But, over the years the best advice is to have nothing in
the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files when running Windows95,95a,95b,98,98SE,
unless you have old hardware that requires drivers loaded in DOS before
Windows starts, such as sound cards and the like.

These operating systems manage the system resources internally and it is
nearly always best to let Windows9x do the job it was intended.  If you are going
to make any adjustments, make them inside of Windows and not to DOS.

Now, with that said, the only except is if you are running DOS applications or
DOS games in DOS mode, then optimizing DOS makes sense.  Otherwise,
it is nearly always best to let Windows9x do the work and not mess with optimizing
the DOS startup files.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: