From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:37:59 -0800
On 10 Feb 98 at 13:58, Donald Gaither-U52943 wrote:

>   When my computer boots up, right before the "Win95 starting"
> line, I see "Primary Master S.M.A.R.T. disabled" I have also found
> a place to enable it.  I am running a FIC PA-2012, which has UDMA
> support.  Is this part of that support, if not, what is it?

  SMART is hardware-monitoring technology, part of the same movement
that is putting temperature sensors on motherboards and so on.  Its
only relationship to UDMA is that both are fairly recent
developments, and so most (EIDE/ATAPI) drives without it pre-date
UDMA.
  We haven't actually used it; we did find, however, that it was
crucial to *disable* it in the setup on our SCSI-only systems.

David G

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]