From:
Ken Vickery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 07:56:20 -0400
RE: Reinstalling Win XP Prof fails
John, Frank, thanks for responding.
John, I did download the low level reformat program but could never get
it to run -- an exe file for a hard disk with no operating system --
just a partially loaded XP Pro.  Surely just my lack of knowledge -- but
read on.

Frank, I did locate and print out the Microsoft answer to the 34 minute
hang up.  I tried rebooting as many as 13 times and XP still hung up at
the 34 minute mark.  As I was able, I did look at the log files but did
not see any glaring boot problems.  I removed all cards, connections to
the mother board except the video card, hard drive and DVD/CD rom.  I
continued to reboot -- only change was it hung up at the 35 minute mark
-- repeatedly.  I reinstalled my hardware.  Out of curiosity, I tried a
recovery disk from one of my other computers running Windows XP Media
Edition.  It loaded just fine -- but of course I couldn't register it.
I tried XP Pro again and it again failed at the 34 minute mark.  I dug
out my old Win 98 second edition CD and tried it and it loaded fine as
well.  So, beleaguered and frustrated after all the hours I have spent
to 'simply' return this computer to running XP Pro, I give up.  I'll
donate it as is to the church for teaching senior citizens how to use a
computer -- I'm not happy with it not running XP Pro as before but 98SE
is better than not running at all. Microsoft wins again.

Thanks for trying to help.
Ken