From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:26:09 -0800
Harvey,

I don't know that I would necessarily "recommend" anything.  I keep my PC on
all the time, as well as my server, which is merely a P100.  The only time I
turn my computers off is when there is the possibility of power problems
(i.e. a bad storm or the like).  It doesn't hurt them to be on all the time,
and turning them off is no big deal.  Usually the problem comes with turning
them back on.  There is the small, infinitesimal likelihood of a power surge
issue that could damage a component.  Goes along the sames lines as the most
damage you do to your car is when you first start it up.

I have found, however, that my monitors last longer if I never turn them
off.  I have actually tested this out several times.  I take two identical
monitors and instruct one user to keep it on all the time, regardless of
whether or not they shut down their computer, and the other user gets
instructed to shut theirs down every night no matter what.  Invariably, the
monitor that gets shut down all the time goes out first.

Hope this helps.

Kyle