From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:29:04 -0800
Hard question to answer Demetri.  There could be a few reasons why it's
noisy.  One of the typical ones is the ball-bearings wear out and the hub
starts rubbing against something.  If you poke something inside the fan when
it is starting up and it stops making noise for a moment, that is probably
it.  WARNING!!  If you do this, I suggest using something soft like a
popsicle stick - NOT a screwdriver or other metal instrument.  Just poke it
in far enough to rub the fan blades real quick and then withdraw it.

If this has no effect, then it probably has something to do with the speed
of the fan during boot causing extra squeaking.  A TINY amount of WD-40
squirted on the hub before the machine is turned on might help.  If you
accidentally over-spray, wait a few minutes before turning the machine on.

If all this fails, then you can either ignore it or get a new power supply.
This is something I would NOT buy on-line.  I ALWAYS remove the old one and
match it with any I am considering buying.  If it ain't the same, I don't
get it (my personal choice on this).  Also, some power supplies have
replaceable fans, but the last time I did one of these it was on an AT power
supply, not ATX.  I don't know if the ATX supplies were ever made with
replaceable fans.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"