From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:42:43 -0500
John,
    This might be a shot in the dark, but give it a try.

Derek Buchanan

To open a command prompt, click Start and then type cmd in the Search
programs and files box.

Under Programs, right-click the CMD.exe icon, and then click Run as
administrator.

When the User Account Control box appears, click Yes.

At the command prompt, enter the following command, and then press Enter:
netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM, John Clemence
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am still not able to connect to the internet with my fairly new laptop
> and had posted the query below outlining the problem - I wonder if
> someone could help me track the internet connection from the wireless
> and hard-wired input on the computer to where-ever it should go. The
> network is working, lots of other devices connected but not this laptop.
> I tried the self diagnosis but it said it was unable to find the
> problem. I tried "Internet Options" - "Set up Internet Con" - "Your
> already Connected to the Internet" - "Browse Now" - browser opened but
> no web page, just a report - "Connection was reset"
>
> I have a Satellite C50-A-1DV laptop which has Windows 8.1 o/s. About 3
> days ago it stopped connecting to the internet although the symbol in
> the system tray showed a strong wireless signal.
> I tried connecting with a plug-in wire from the router but still no
> connection. I think a clue to the problem may be a message that appears
> after the machine has started up, the message says something along the
> lines - "Failed to Connect to a Windows Service. Windows couldn't
> connect to the Group Policy Client Service. As an administrator user you
> can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't
> respond".
> I am just a retired home user and am not sure how to be an
> "administrator user" or how to access the "system event log" or what I
> should expect to or not to find!
> A few days before this happened I did download some software to give me
> the "start button & menu" that I was used to with Win 7. I also switched
> off one of the swipe features on the touch pad.
> I wonder if anyone might have some advice on what I could do.
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Regards.
> John.
>
>                          PCSOFT's List Owners: