From:
Glenn Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:29:47 -0500
Hello:

I have a 36GB SCSI drive that is partitioned into two logical drives. I run Windows 2000 Pro; both partitions use NTFS. I have 1GB RDRAM on a SuperMicro I860 board.. The C drive is 16GB with 10GB free. The D drive is 20GB with 12GB free. I keep getting messages which say that my page file allocations are too small  - both drives are set to 1536 minimum and 3076 maximum. No matter how large I set the max, when I reboot the same message comes up. ???  I'm beginning to pull out what is left of my hair. Since I have had what I think are memory related issues ( spontaneous reboots etc.) I replaced the ram. After replacing the ram, I was still getting screwy things happening. On a whim I reformatted the C drive to NTFS ( C was fat32) and reinstalled. It seemed to settle things down. But after about the 25th reboot - (lots of software to install) this page file business started occurring.

Could it possibly be the hard drive? I have run "Burnin Pro" on the drive; on the first test I ran displayed approximately 23 read/write errors, but two subsequent long tests came up clean. I'm not sure now if the hard drive is well; page file business relates to that, but why the min and max sizes won't reset seems to point too software also. Long Burnin tests vindicate the replacement memory. Could it be the motherboard memory controller? I was not sure which list to submit this conundrum to since it could be either hardware or software. Sorry for the length of this submission, but I wanted to supply adequate info.I am at a loss.

                thanks for any help
                Glenn Miller

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>