From:
Sami Garzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 18:01:04 +0200
Hi PC-Folks;

It's been a while since my last post, "Computer not Waking Up", where I
received advices that the problem was the Power Supply. The end of the
story was that after being away from the computer for a time, the computer
magically started working again. Because the two times the problem
appeared the computer was left turned on for a long time, and because the
magical resussitations, I'm quite sure that the problem was the P/S. Now
I'm looking forward to buy a new one.

I didn't wrote the resolution before because after the time away from the
computer, I have been traveling, and reading my mail bacame difficult.
Only now that I'm a little more stable in my parents house, I can dowload
my e-mail with more tranquility.

But this post is not about the P/S, is a question about Mother Boards.
Unfortunately, I didn't read the many post about this issue that were
posted in the last weeks. I hope that I'm not repeating a question
unnecessarily. Here it goes:

My Computer is na old one. A PentiumI 166Mhz. I have 48Mg RAM, two
36.600bps Modem, a 16bit sound-card and  a simple video-card. I have 2
HDD, one old and the second new. The system is working fine, but it's very
slow (compared to stronger machines, like PII and PIII). In almost a
month, I'm going to NY, the final stage in my traveling. There I wanted to
buy another motherboard+processor to upgrade my system. The questions that
bother me are:
1) As I will continue using the old cards (modems, graphics, sound...), is
there a possibilty of InCompatibility between the (new) mother-board and
the (old) 'daughter'-boards? I mean, maybe the old cards are designed to a
specific architecture...
2) "As the case may be" (in words of ************), my old case, in spite
of being a very bad designed one, I'' not thinking of changing it by now.
My question: can the new mother-board be incompatible (not to fit) in my
case?
3) Does somebody recommend a specific MoBo? I want it to work with a
PentiumIII processor (maybe 450Mhz or higher). It doesn't need to have
things OnBoard, but have to have a lot of slots and this kind of things.
The price isn't a big issue.
Thank you again for any advice, reply, recommendation, web-site and so
on... And sorry for the lenght of the post!

Thanks Again;
        Sami Garzon :)

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org