From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:35:01 -0400
Only my close personal friends call me "Huge".
I mentioned Linksys in my post, but a router won't help you with dialup.
You have to use ICS(Internet Connection Sharing).
This is from the XP help file (Under ICS).
"To set up Internet Connection Sharing, run the Network Setup Wizard.
 Important

Do not use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in a network with other domain
controllers, DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for
static IP.
When you enable ICS, the network adapter connected to your home or small
office network gets a new static IP address configuration. Existing TCP/IP
connections on the computer running ICS are lost and must be reestablished.
For example, if Internet Explorer is connecting to a Web site when ICS is
enabled, you must refresh the browser to reestablish the connection.
To use ICS, users on your home or small office network should configure
TCP/IP on their local area connection to obtain an IP address automatically.
Home or small office network users must also configure Internet options for
ICS. For more information, see To configure Internet options for Internet
Connection Sharing".
*****************************

Thank you to all of you that have helped me.
Ok,  it has been my understanding that sharing an internet connection is
possible with a dial up connection.  Was I mistaken?  We live too far out to
get DSL or cable.  If I was mistaken, any ideas on how to make it work?
Thanks Huge for the site of  D-link, there is another article there that
informs me that this hub will not allow internet access through it.  So if I
can share a connection with dial up I'm looking for a router.  Any
suggestions?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml