From:
Ron Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:19:44 -0500
Hello,
I've been trying to update the Display Adapter in W98 to improve the colo
r from 16 to 256 pixels, but am constantly prevented; there is a driver u
pdate warning: the chosen driver was not written for this hardware and ma
y not work - which is what happens; the display colors revert to 16 and t
he screen size to 640 x 480.
If I allow the Wizard to choose 'better' drivers, it does so happily - ye
t the result is as above;  going into Adapter Properties and updating the
 standard PCI graphic adapter to Super VGA (as advised) still leads to th
e warning and the 16 color impasse.
I even got the updater to install a Super VGA driver from the Win98 disc,
 set the colors at 256 and larger screen size - only to find the Display
Properties had again reverted to the lowest level.
The system was built in 1998 with 350Mhz, Pentium I, SiS5600 board, 8+gig
s HDD, and 64Mg memory. Formerly, this OS behaved well on this computer;
but there has been a replacement HDD.

What could be the way around this difficulty, or the reason for it?
Help gratefully welcomed.
Thanks,
Ron

                     visit our download web page at: