From:
Doctor Data <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:58:33 -0500
Hi all,
I've had an ongoing issue trying to get a client's laptop to VPN into his network.  The network consists of 2 XP Pro workstations and an NT4 PDC server connected into a Lynksys router enabling them to access the web through a DSL connection.  the modem is a Netopia cayman 3220 bridge.  Orignally the client was using a Netopia cayman 3400 series modem but after trying to vpn a laptop into the network and having no luck, I was advised by the ISP to change over to the 3220 bridge because the 3400 series modem did not support PPTP.  After much tweaking, I was finally able to get the laptop to VPN into the network via dialup although the connection is extremely slow.  After returning from his business trip, the client signed up for DSL at his home using the same service he had in the office and was provided with the netopia 3400 series modem.   He is able to VPN to the server with the DSL, but cannot access any of the shared drives that he normally can if he went through dialup.  Has anyone seen this problem before.

also, at one point, I had installed Norton Personnal firewall on each of his workstations which caused the client not to be able to access any of his shared drives remotely.  After much frustration I had removed it and recreated his drive mappings on the remote laptop.  Can anyone recommend a good network firewall software?
Thanks in advance

Bill Ades
Doctor Data Technology Solutions, inc.
Brooklyn, NY