From:
Doctor Data <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:17:38 -0500
Mandar,
I know in NT4 chances are usually that the boot.ini file in the root of your
c: drive is not pointing to the right directory where your system files
reside.  It may be the same thing in Win2K.  What is the file system on your
hard drive?  NTFS or fat32?  If it is fat32, you can boot up on a dos disk.
Once at a dos prompt, you should be able to find a file called  the
boot.ini.  Remove the read only attribute from it (attrib -r) and edit the
file.  You will see the bootup menu that looks something like
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)".  Multi denotes the disk controller in
which you probably only have one, and disk and rdisk represent which hard
drive your system is on (the primary disk is 0, secondary disk is 1, so
on...).  Make sure it's pointing to the right hard disk if you have more
than one.  I'm pretty sure you only need to be concerned with "disk".
Finally "partition" represents which partition of the drive where the os is
installed . If you have multiple partition on whichever hard disk the system
is on, make sure it matches that number (1=1st partition and so forth).
Make sure these lines are correct and pointing to the drive where your
system files reside.  If you still have trouble along the way, try
recreating the boot.ini on a floppy, mimicking the one that is on the hard
drive, as it may be corrupted.  If you have ntfs on your computer, you will
not be able to view it with a dos disk.  You can do a search on google for
NTFSDOS.  It is an executable that you run in order to access ntfs drives
(if I had an actual copy, I would email it to you).  Once you find it,
download it and copy it to your bootable floppy.  Run the command after
booting your system on the disk.  Hope these suggestions work.
Good Luck
Bill Ades
Doctor Data Technology Solutions, inc.
Brooklyn, NY