From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:25:36 -0800
At 10:15 AM 2/16/2007, you wrote:
>What I am wondering is: if I piggyback my new wireless router on top of the
>old "firewall" router, will that give any added security to my network?  The
>satellite internet, while much faster than dialup, is still only 1.5Mbs,
>which should not be affected by the additional router, I would think.
>TIA,
>Dean Kukral

An additional router will give you an additional firewall block /
protection. To cascade your router you will need to assign it a
separate IP address.

For example, Linksys by default is
192.168.1.x
255.255.255.0

So to cascade your router, plug in from the LAN port of the new
router and then into one of the LAN ports of the existing router and
make it's IP address

192.168.2.x
255.255.255.0

If you want to isolate your wireless router from your LAN, then
assign the new router a separate IP address and plug the new router
into a LAN port of the Internet router, but to the WAN port of the
new router. Then you will have Internet access to the new router but
the  new router's firewall will keep things separated.

Before you try this, make sure you are using the latest BIOS
available for your particular router.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/