From:
Paul Ecclestone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:15:13 -0400
I have 2 drives - a 20 Gb and a 6 Gb and a CDRW.  I am not a gamer, and do
not do anything too processor intensive.  My question is what is the best
way to partition and install Windows XP and software?  I have 512mb of
RAM, and a Duron 950.

Primary master = 20 gb
Secondary master = 6 gb
CDRW = primary slave or secondary slave.  I am guessing secondary slave.

What is the general feeling out there?

Secondly (and partly related I suspect), windows and data on the primary
master, programs on the secondary master?  Is this the best way for
performance or given my limited requirements is it even worth splitting
windows and programs on separate drives?  Should XP and programs just stay
in "C" or should they be partitioned on "C"?  I don't mind separating but
if the performance increase isn't noticeable as opposed to theoretical why
bother?

What about a separate partition for the windows swap file?  Would that
make any difference?  Or does that need to be on a separate drive from the
windows installation (I suspect)?

Regards,
Paul Ecclestone

Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml