From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:30:39 -0400
I have seen this described the other way around.
The theory I read was that since the channels were originally
set-up for and the drivers/software support was written for IDE
devices a hard drive should be Master if with a CD.
(I think WD has said that.)

Since CD-Roms are an "after-thought" on this sort of channel
and are just given software "work-arounds" to emulate themselves
as some sort of device there, they should be slaves to a hard drive
on the same channel...

This has nothing to do with other, more complex issues such as
CD readers vs. burners,
Busmaster drivers which might allow different modes of operating
speed on the same channel, or if DMA is allowed, (on or off)...

Everyone will have "what works for them", and I do not want to start
a "buss religious war"...  (grin..)

Just my $.02           Rick Glazier

>If theyre both going to be on the second IDE channel, then make sure you
>have the CDROM set for master, and the HD set for slave via the jumpers.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml