From:
ETLehner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:35:26 -0400
I don't know if I qualify as professional in the sense you mean, however I
just ordered an HP 9900ci DVD/CDRW drive (32X12X10X8) from buy.com, and if
it would only get off of back-order and ARRIVE, I'll be glad to let you know
how the install and initial operation goes.  HP has a $50 rebate going on
through the end of August, and between that and the initial price, I just
couldn't pass it up (final price after rebate, $122.95* ).  I wasn't really
in the market for DVD on my PC (I've got a comfortable couch in my living
room to lay on while watching DVDs through the TV/audio system), but at that
price it doesn't even matter if I use it, as long as the drive works okay
with CD media.  I am going to take my current 24x4x4 CDRW drive and put it
on the other machine on my LAN, and take the old CDROM off of that system,
and install it along with the new combo drive here on my primary machine.

What kind of problems have you heard about?  Something I should be on the
alert for?

Eileen Lehner
8/18  0113edt

* I am not trying to be spammishly commercial, just letting you know how
cheap the thing is