From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:39:44 -0500
Graham Cunliffe wrote:

> Can anyone advise me as to why Windows98 would lock-up trying to install
> a Netgear PNP FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI card.

   We have a few of these in some new CompUSA clones we got two week ago
to use in a PC troubleshooting grant (we have 43 people coming for 8
days each of network and PC troubleshooting workshops). I have noticed
these cards are a little tricky (for example they confused our network
supervisor because they give an error message upon boot into Win98 when
the ethernet cable is not connected...I told her that was normal for
that card).

   We had an AGP card removed and replaced and the Netgear card lost its
settings. I had to manually Remove it in Device Manager and then pull
out the card and reseat it before it would accept the drivers. I have
been using the floppy drivers that came with the cards as Windows 98
doesn't have universal drivers for this card (I hope the second release
of Win98 will add many new drivers for devices invented since last
summer).

  All the best,

      Russell Smith  Educational Technology Consultant, Journalist
        Region 14 Education Service Center  Abilene, Texas 79601
         http://camalott.com/~rssmith  mailto:[log in to unmask]
              Better Schools Build Better Communities!

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com