From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:32:01 +1000
Regina wrote:
>I am a hobby photographer and my picture files average around 28
>mbs.  Normally the computer has no problem dealing with 2-3 of them being
>opened and working on them.  This evening I only had photoshop and 1
>picture that I was working on and the screen started 'whiteing' out except
>for the task bar and the top bar of photoshop and the system slowed to a
>crawl. >>

I doubt it's a hard drive problem. Sounds more like memory lockup.

A 28Mb photo is huge, and editing a photo that size is probably swamping
your system, leaving very little margin for error.

Applications running in the background, or invisible processes like
trojans, viruses, etc would be enough to cause memory freeze.

Check Task Manager to ensure there are no unnecessary applications running
in the background.

Run a full system scan with a good antispyware program such as Malwarebytes
or Superantispyware (both free). Also run an antivirus scan.

Try reducing the size of your photos, either by compression or by dimension
to a more manageable size. I'd regard anything over 500 Kb as too large
unless you're intending to crop drastically (which will reduce the size
anyway) or are intending to produce poster-size prints. Those photos are
probably about 4 or 5 times larger than the size of your monitor screen.

If they happen to be .bmp photos (which tend to be very large in filesize),
convert them to .jpg.  Converting to around 65-80% jpg compression should
not result in any noticeable reduction in quality and should bring a .bmp
down to about 1/20th its original filesize.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads