From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:00:20 -0400
It's cheap enough to get the power supply tested. Some XPS models have
proprietary power supplies, but they are readily available. A standard
PS is easy enough to replace, but the proprietary ones get
complicated. Replacing the motherboard would probably not be worth the
expense on an older model.
All in all, I would agree with Dell that the best way out is a new computer.
Some XPS models had a RAID arrangement that could make data recovery
problematical. Post the service tag # and we can probably advise you
better.