From:
Robert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:30:36 -0500
Are you sure that this is actually a 486 machine? The no rom basic warning
would indicate to me that the system is much older, probably pre 286, and it
expected to boot from rom and not from a disk.What is the make and model of
this system? It might have been modified to be able to boot from a drive,
it's hard to say without any more data. Before dos, computers used to boot
from rom and the "operating system" was some variant of basic, usually from
Microsoft. I do recall that Tandy, for one, had some sort of ms-dos based
system that booted from rom and may have had a built in 5.25 floppy. The
floppy might only be a 360k, however. Does the system have any kind of
externally accessible add-in slot that took a cartridge? This is how the old
color computers and the ibm pc junior worked. The color computer used a plug
in disk controller that replaced the basic rom os with another rom of it's
own that supported the disk.