From:
"Gary R. Tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 19:50:12 -0700
Every time I've had a UPS "auto-shutdown" program that didn't work with the
serial cable, it has been because of COM port issues.  Either the COM port
is taken (or its IRQ) or the software is configured for the wrong COM port.

See if you can move things around.  There should also be a "Test" mode that
will tell you without your draining the battery whether or not you have
communication with the serial cable.

gary r. tennesen