From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:26:10 -0700
It does not matter what brand of hard drive you use, but size does affect
the connection. A 3.5 inch drive will require an external power supply as
well as a USB connection to the computer. XP will recognize the external USB
drive automatically, while other OS like Linux will require that a USB
device driver be installed.

If you use a 2.5 inch laptop type drive in an external USB case, the drive
power comes from the USB cable so no power back is needed.

I have been using both types of USB drives with good results on my XP
system. The 2.5 inch drive is used to transfer information between
computers, while the 3.5 inch (200MB) is used for backup purposes.

Either size case can be purchased very reasonably on-line by looking at
e-bay or doing a search with pricewatch or pricegrabber.

Peter
The NoSpin Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com