From:
"Mark S. Boykin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:42:04 -0500
Don,

Most obvious question - Is the power supply fan spinning? If yes, then next
most obvious question - Is the CPU fan spinning?

Actually there are many other reasons for the described behavior.
One - the CPU could be dead.
Two - a PCI or AGP adapter that is not fully seated.
Three - a dead internal modem.
Four - a defective mouse or keyboard.
Less common but still possible, are:
a bad IDE cable,
a bad floppy drive
a bad CD-ROM or hard drive
a really bad memory chip

When I am troubleshooting motherboards, I remove all adapter cards except
the graphics card. I also unplug everything but the keyboard.
If the system still does not boot, I unplug the keyboard. If still no go, I
unplug all the drive cables and the power connectors to the drives.

If still no boot, then I remove the graphics card. Verify that the speaker
is connected properly to the panel connectors. You should get a continuous
beeping. If not then the mainboard is not even getting to the stage of
initializing the graphics card.
Next stage, replace graphics card and remove the memory. You should get a
series of long beeps. Although the beep pattern depends on your particular
BIOS.

My number one personal rule for computer troubleshooting - "Never assume
anything!"

Hope this has been helpful,

Mark S. Boykin
Computer Choices