Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:36:03 -0500
Hello Stephen,

In answer to your first question, the 'slow down' can be attributed to the
additional requirements of XP over Windows Millennium. Microsoft states:
"128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported;
may limit performance and some features)." Experience has shown that
anything less than 256 MB seriously impacts on system performance. It's most
noticeable when attempting to run any program that requires a lot of memory,
or running two or more programs at the same time. That would be in addition
to any programs and processes running in the background.

Based on the needs and 'wants' of your friend, reverting back to Windows
Millennium seems to be the logical solution. This raises several questions
for us. We don't know if XP was installed as an upgrade or a clean install.
If it was installed as an upgrade and the Windows Millennium install was
saved for the purpose of reverting back to it if needed, XP should be listed
in Add and Remove Programs. See the links below for more information on this
procedure.

A quick fix for keeping the XP install would be to increase the memory. The
problem with doing this is that a system that old is probably limited to
under 256 MB (192 MB ?). The performance increase would be negligible and
generally not worth the effort and expense.

Probably the easiest route to take is to use Compaq recovery. This method
would restore his system back to the state it was in when it left the
factory. Depending on his system (?), it may be on the computers hard drive
on a separate partition, or on CD(s). Again, we don't know if XP was a clean
install or an upgrade.

On the age old debate of Windows 98/SE vs. Windows Millennium... If you
haven't used them, it boils down to who you listen to and how much faith you
place in what they say. Having used all three (Millennium from its release
until XP was released), it is my opinion that most of Millennium's bad
publicity is the result of user ignorance and error. People tend to "bad
mouth" things that don't work for them when the real problem is they simply
don't know how to use it.

Millennium can be thought of as a Windows 98 third edition. Basically, it's
98SE with a facelift... different look and feel, new features were added,
the My Pictures folder was revamped, etc., and System Restore was
introduced, to mention a few. It's still Windows 98 under the covers. I
experienced no problems with it that didn't occur with 98.

Windows XP Professional System Requirements:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

How to manually remove Windows XP and then restore Windows 95, Windows 98,
or Windows Millennium Edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314052

How to manually start the removal process to remove Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;312569

Sven Swanson, Sr.
The NoSpin Group, Inc.