Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:01:16 -0700
My particular unit uses some form of Linux and provides software for
formatting and scandisk.It's attached to the router and has a network
address.
It's not vulnerable to Windows Malware, and no computer needs to be
turned on except the one using it.
There's a Wik entry here with more detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage