From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:48:46 -0400
I'm trying to make a boot disk so I can do a fresh install of Windows 95,
but am having trouble with getting the CDROM recognized.  I have followed
the previous discussions and the correct configuration in config.sys and
autoexec.bat (see below for mine).

My system:
Rhino 12 motherboard (VIA Chipset) Award Bios
Pentium 166
80 meg memory
3 G hard drive partitioned C: - 2 G and D: 1 G (on Primary Master)
Old Toro CDROM (4X) on Secondary Master
Windows 95b

Let me give you a synopsis of what has occurred up to now.  I had a corrupt
registry and could not recover.  I didn't have a current reg backup so had
to go back to one of the original registry backups (1 ½ yr. old).  I could
boot now and so I started fixing stuff to get by until I had time to format
and re-install Windows.  I was able to get everything back in working order
except for the cdrom (no drive letter in Windows).  As first attempt to
fix, I added the DOS support in the Autoexec.bat and config.sys.  The drive
letter appeared now in Windows but I got an “Error reading Drive E:, Abort,
Retry, Fail” message. I then saw that the IDE controller had error in
Device Manager.  I installed the VIA chipset controller drivers and now the
cdrom worked in Windows.

Next I tried to create a windows boot disk. I have the required files on
the boot disk (MSCDEX.EXE, TSYCDROM.SYS, EMM386.exe, and HIMEM.exe).  The
autoexec.exe and config.sys lines are from the TORI manual.  (P: SM is for
Master on Secondary controller.)

Now booting to windows command prompt from the floppy boot disk, the BIOS
detects the cdrom, and the drivers appear to load from the floppy.  I can
enter “CD E:” at the >A: prompt and the >E: appears OK. When I try to do a
“dir E:” with any cd, I get the “Error reading Drive E:, Abort, Retry,
Fail” message.

Does anyone see something that would let the boot disk recognize the cdrom
but not make it readable, or have any suggestions for further looking for
problems?  The cdrom still works in full GUI Windows, but I don't want to
format C: if I can't boot and load Windows from the cdrom.

Config.sys

device=a:\himem.sys /testmem:off
DEVICE=a:\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=a:\TSYCDROM.SYS /D:TSYCD1 /P:SM