From:
Patrick Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:47:50 -0800
At 08:52 AM 3/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Acer Entera w/P133 (non intel) chip. 1.2 G HD, 16 MB of RAM, 4X Toshiba
>CD-ROM, Sound Card and 33.6 Cardinal Modem
>Problem: I can't get the beast to give me 640 X 480 resolution and at least
>256 colors.

Had similar problems with ACER using the ACER Magic Sound cards and STB
video cards.  Solution was to remove the sound card and then add the video
back and get it to be happy. Then added back sound card and all was well.
Not elegant but it was the only way.

A similar problem in a non-ACER machine was casued by residual video
drivers from long dead video cards. You may have to go into the registry
and see if you have line pointing to video drivers for cards long since
gone. Also you won't hurt to sleuth through the Windows dir and remove the
driver there to.
Patrick Meyer
A French Norman in a foreign land,
pining for the fiords.