From:
Leigh Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:21:35 +1100
HI

I have a custom built Athlon 1.333 which was reaching temperatures up to 62
deg Celcius on a hot day.
I took it back to the supplier who fitted a volcano 6Cu fan/heatsink using
a silver based heat transfer paste (possibly arctic  silver), and 2 case
exhaust fans. It already had an inlet fan in the front.  Since then the CPU
has not registered more than 48 deg C.

When I was there he showed me the shim supplied by AMD and said they had
had several chips burn out after fitting the shim as it stood the heat sink
off from the top of the chip.  Since then they stopped using them for
obvious reasons.

Based on that info I would proceed with caution.

My system is running at an ok temperature now with little or no extra
noise, so you may want to look at the volcano/ silver paste combo as an option.

Leigh Jennings