From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:57:08 -0800
On 19 Jan 2005 at 12:05, jose castro wrote:

>  It would be best if you change your drive well depending on how old
> it is and what you gonna do with it. Anyway if you are gonna run a nt
> based os then it would be best to upgrade and buy a bigger drive since
> the min. req ask for 30-60 gigs.

  Although it was fixed in Windows 2000, NT couldn't create an NTFS install
partition bigger than 4GB, and I ran plenty of NT servers on 2GB drives.  I
wouldn't build a new machine today with a primary drive of less than about
40GB, but that's hardly a "min. req", and SCSI drives that size are still
moderately expensive.
  My current home Win2K Pro machine boots from a system partition on a 1GB
SCSI drive; I intend to remove that drive and make a 4GB drive the
boot/system drive when I install Win2K Server on it sometime soon.

> Also i don't think theirs anything wrong with the drive since the more
> you format the more space the formated data takes in other words when
> you format a drive you are not technicly deleting it might look gone
> but its always their. for example i had a hard drive that maximum had
> a hold of 60 gigs after a couple of months (and a couple of formating)
> it had decrased to 55 gigs despiter the fact that it says it has 60.

  Obviously there's no way I can say this didn't happen, but I've never
observed or heard of any such phenomenon, and so I find it really hard to
believe that this is a normal behaviour, either of formatting or of these
OSes.
  What I *have* encountered multiple times is that the drive manufacturer
calls a drive "60GB" because it holds about 60x(10^6) bytes, and Windows
calls it 55GB because it holds about 55x(2^20) bytes -- which happen to be
the same number.  But that difference shows up right from the start and
doesn't change over time.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com