From:
Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:47:48 +1000
I'm going to build a new computer for myself too. I suggest you to buy a
Viper770 Ultra, then overclock it to 200Mhz (with extra cooling!!!!). I
personaly like S/B live, even it costs more, but the sound is really good
(plus you got a digital encode card with it). I know that some Gigabyte mobo
won't work with Viper550 AGP, but never heard/seen Abit BH6 and BX6 have any
problem. again, I personaly like BX6 rev2. Since you gonna have DVD, CD-R,
and ZIP drive, the heat is a problem with most ATX midi case. If possible,
get a full tower case (with 5 5' bay), so you can put CD-R on 2nd bay, zip
on 3rd bay, DVD on last bay. and get an extra fan on the top of the case.
Since most full tower case come with standard two fans (one mid, one
bottom), you are looking for a four case fans system (one flat case fan just
next to your video card; one on top as i said for CD-R ...). You think too
many fans in the case? they will pay off soon. Specially don't skip the fan
for video card, a $10.00 fan could save you big $$$ later. One of my friend
burned his CD-R 'cos the heat (he put CD-R, CD-ROM, DVD next to each other
without cooling), which cost him big amount of $$$ to replace the CD-R. I
also have seen the burned video card on my client's computer, so cool it!

Hope this help.

J Qian