Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:20:11 -0500
Hitesh Bhatia wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm trying to set up a lan connection between two pc's
> connected to a lan cards with a distance of 70 meters
>kept away from eachother. ve made a crossover cable to
>connect them.
>I'm getting connected and the lan card shows the light
>glowing but the data transfer is not there cause when
>i PING i get " request timed out".
>I've even tried out using a 30 meter wire but getting
>the same problem. But can ping when using the same
>wire of 2 meters.
>
>Please help me out with this problem.
>
>Regards
>Hitesh Bhatia

>Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
>http://messenger.yahoo.com/
>
>        The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>       tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>           Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

What OS are you using?  If it is W2K, it is possible that you may need
to put a hub (a switch is better) between them. I had problems using
Win2K computers with Digiport's PortServers. When I called Digi for
support, I was told that M$ has a bug in Win2K that when you use a
crossover cable, sometimes a win2k system will drop the ethernet
connection. The light appears on the card, but if you look at the sys
tray, you connection icon will be gone, and the only way to correct this
was to reboot the computer. Couldn't afford to have that since the
computer was going to be locked in a closet, so I put in a cheap switch
and everything worked fine since then. Don't know if this will help, but
. . .

Jean Bourvic

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml