From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 11:50:57 -0700
Guys,

After purchasing Laplink, which says it supports USB to USB file transfer, I
also purchased and A to A USB cable.  I tried it with Direct Cable
Connection networking through Windows XP to find it wasn't supported, just
like you did.  I put the project off for awhile until reading this thread,
which led me to do some research.  This is still in process, but so far, I
have found the following information from WWW.USB.ORG within their FAQ's:
Q6: How can I connect two PCs to each other with USB?
A6: You need a specialized USB peripheral known as a USB bridge (sometimes
called a USB to USB adapter) to do this. Anchor Chips and e-Tek labs, among
others, make USB bridges.

Q7: You mean I can't make a direct cable connection like a null modem?
A7: Correct. In fact, if you try this with an illegal A to A USB cable,
you'll short the two PCs' power supplies together, possibly destroying one
or both machines or causing a fire hazard. Even there were no danger to the
machines from the problem with two power supplies, there still wouldn't be
any way to get the two PCs talking to each other, since USB doesn't support
that particular kind of communication. A reasonably priced solution to
handle this need is the USB bridge.

Laplink offered a USB cable at a discount, but indicated the retail was $40.
I am not sure if this cable is specialized to overcome the potential for PS
shorting or if it is instead one of the USB bridges mentioned above, but you
should be wary of the direct A to A cables.

Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ