From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:05:00 -0500
> I've got a Gateway P5-100 and we bought it back in '96. Lately my console
> has been making some unusual sounds. It kind of sounds like the fan is
> straining somehow then it goes quiet again. Or it sounds like our Bassett
> Hound who does heavy breathing whenever you're eating something. I've
> dusted the console and blown out some of the gunk on the outside but I'm
> leary about opening it up and using the can of air on the inside. I
> thought about taking it to Sperry TV for cleaning but I wanted to get
> some of your opinions before taking "Buford" to the cleaners. It's not
> affecting the computer in any way but I don't want to wait for something
> to really go wrong then be without the computer for weeks.

     Sounds like your fan may be failing, it's not uncommon for a system of
that age, I myself have gone through two power supply fans and one CPU fan
on this computer's case (a 1994 AT style), mind you this system runs 24
hours a day. It is possible that cleaning the dust out will solve it but I
doubt it. The worst thing that could happen is the fan failing completely,
this is BAD since your system would most likely overheat. Replacing the CPU
fan is quite simple and a job almost anyone can do. Replacing the power
supply fan is not, there are dangerous voltages present in there, even after
disconnecting power. I recommend you get a professional to replace that one
if indeed that is the case. The most common failure I have seen with these
fans is either the bearing wearing out (occurs more often with sleeve
bearing type fans than ball bearing) or the actually piece of plastic that
is the fan blades cracking, causing one of the blades to hit the inside of
the surround. Hope this helped, TTYL

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html