From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:45:45 -0400
I don't think this is an update problem. I have done this many, many times
when reinstalling the OS on many Dells, and never had a problem.
I usually install, then immediately go to windows update and download the
critical updates only. Don't get any drivers.
Set a restore point before you start and you can restore if necessary.
It wouldn't hurt to see if Dell has any info relating to  your machine.
.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Donald DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> First thing, the computer never did completely boot-up, only in safe mode.
> ran the msconfig as Hugh recommended. There wasn’t anything unusual listed
> in the boot-up or logon. Comparing all the entrees with my backup computer,
> everything appeared to be normal. I was considering deleting all thirty
> eight upgrades one at a time so I could zero in on the one giving me the
> problem but that would have taken forever. So I decided to do another fresh
> reinstall as Dean suggested. : ( After all, I do need the practice. This
> time I turned off the automatic downloads, (I believe there were over
> forty). To date, third day running, everything seems to be working ok. The
> question here is, should I keep the automatic downloads turned off, or take
> my chances and turn it back on? Is there a way I can just download/install
> one update at a time? I see on the Automatic Updates tab/page there is an
> option to download but “let me install”. I’m not sure how to do this. Can
> you give some instruction for this method if you think it is the way to go?
>

> Also, Rick had concerns about the sp# of the reinstall; the exact wordings
> on the Dell/factory reinstall CD are “Windows Media Center Edition 2005
> with
> Update Rollup 2.”

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com