From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 03:48:10 -0800
Karen Miller:

> Hi. I was told on another list that something like KRYLON Workable Fixatif
> or other type spray fixatifs could be used on printers to keep them
> running properly, I was wondering, does this make sense spraying things on
> printers?

Short answer:   No

Long Answer:  No. No. No.

Each type of printer has different vulnerabilties.

For example, inkjets, bubblejets, and dye-sublimation printers
follow a mylar guide to read carriage position. If residue accumulated
faulty carriage performance would occur.

As for laser printers, which use 6500VDC+/-  corotrons and
photoconductive drums for imaging, spray residue could lead
to dirty corona wires, damaged drum, etc.

Cleaning tools we used on printers:
   compressed filtered air - low psi
   non-static all nylon vacuum
   99.9% isopropyl used on coronas