From:
James Baird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:11:29 -0500
I too use a dial-up connection to my ISP.  I had no problems until my ISP installed a Cisco router then I had difficulty connecting  and maintaining connection.   They said they were having problems with some modems connecting to the new router.  Evidently Cisco routers are picky.  They offered to install a Hayes modem free of charge if I would bring my computer in.  It was to far and too much trouble to disconnect three computers just to install a modem.so they sent me three modems when I told them that I could install them.  They were replacing a lot of modems because they were ordering Hayes modems by the case!  The techie said that Hayes modems had no problem connecting to the Cisco router.  So the problem may be with your ISP or more correctly, their router.

> My os is xp home edition. I use a modem to dial up a connection to isp.
> my connection is being dropped frequently, and at times when I try to access a
> web page I get page cannot be displayed. My isp says the problem is on my end.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

James Baird

---

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: