From:
Raymond Hornung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 10:54:04 +0900
Sorry if we're beating this to death but I appreciate all the input...

I installed a new motherboard, a FIC PA-2002.  The mouse is ported to
the serial port, COM1 as indicated on the board and in the BIOS.

The problem apparently is with the cable, this was from the old MB in a
reused case.  I didn't realize different MBs used different pin configs,
anyone know where one can buy the right cable for this board? No COM
port cables came with it.  I live in South Korea, so I would need it by
mail.

Tried loading a mouse driver in DOS, no luck.  Again indicating the
cable. And yes it's plugged in the #1 pin in the right location.  The
board can ten pins as does the cable connector although the port end has
only nine. Tried two differnt serial mice, no luck.

>BOB WRIGHT added:
>As far as your MS_JMP  vs.  PS/2_JMP  markings on the motherboard,
>this would be straight forward.  One setting is for a serial mouse and the
>other for a PS/2 mouse.   If you are using Com ports, you obviously do
>not have a PS/2 mouse, but a serial mouse.  Set this jumper accordingly.

This is not as simple as it seems.  There is a single row of 5 pins with
either notation as each end.  I'm beginning to think this is where I
would plug in a 5 lead connector going to a PS/2 port. The manual gives
no jumper settings for this area, it only indicates the location on the
board.

I'd venture to say the wrong cable is installed and will pursue that
route with help from anyone who can help me find the right one.

Thanks,

Ray Hornung