From:
Ray Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:40:59 -0700
Hello,

My nephew was recently given an old Samsung Notemaster 386 S/25, that
has a 40 megabyte hard drive in it. The BIOS of the laptop, has three
different possible head and disc configurations for 40 megabyte hard
drives, but none of these built in settings will work with the drive
installed.

The drive is marked only with the following information:

Model SHDN3-53725/NO HDD
Serial Number - 9SH4SNB01402

Can anyone steer me onto any sites which make legacy hardware
information and documents available? Or, does anyone out there actually
still have a user manual for this drive? Any help getting the drive
recognized by the BIOS would be appreciated.

The only information I was able to turn up, was a multiple laptop
review, that included this system when it was new, in an archived
Compute! magazine article. It was pretty surprising to learn that this
laptop, with it's very minimal hardware configuration had cost $2000
when new!

The laptop posts fine, we are able to access the BIOS, and were almost
able to boot it up from a 3 1/2 inch floppy disk, but it turned out the
floppy wasn't any good anymore. It did try to load, but got part way
through, and stopped on a disc read error before it completed the boot.

My computer doesn't have any floppy drives, so I have no way to create a
new boot floppy, and the laptop has no CD drive either, so we are really
hoping that with the correct hard drive parameters, it will boot from
the hard drive.

Later, Ray Parrish

--
Human reviewed index of links about the computer
http://www.rayslinks.com

                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>