From:
Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:43:52 -0500
It sounds like that when you installed the drive originally, you formatted
it as a dynamic disk instead of a basic disk. When you deleted the C:
partition you messed it up.   If you can read it on another computer I would
get all my data off of it as soon as possible.  With all the stuff you are
trying you are going to end up losing that data.

If you want to try some more things to recover the disk, do a search in
windows XP help for dynamic disk.  There are some recovery procedures there.

Ben Moore

> At 09:58 AM 02/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >i installed windows xp home on a computer that was originally running xp
> pro (don't ask). i selected delete partition as part of the setup, then
> installed the o/s to the newly created partition. this new partition is
> 100% of drive c. i also had another separate hard drive, drive q, filled
> with my mp3 files. the install went ok, but when i try to access drive q,
> it isn't showing in "my computer". in disk management, it is listed as
disk
> 1, dynamic, and foreign. it has an option to convert it to basic, but says
> that this will destroy the data.  i've searched the ms knowledgebase, and
> all i could find was something under win2k about importing foreign disk.
> unfortunately import foreign disk isn't one of the choices for me in disk
> mgmt. the only choice is "convert to basic".
> >the drive is listed in device manager, and shows no problems.  it's set
as
> slave on the primary ide channel.  i also tried it as master on the
> secondary channel.  i've tried logging on as administrator, and even tried
> it from within safe mode.
> >i removed the drive and put it into a different computer running win2k
> pro, and there i was given the option to import foreign drive.  i did this
> and was able to read and write to the drive.  i tried partition magic 8,
> but all the options for the q drive were grayed out.
> >it's file system is ntfs, and the xp installation on the c drive is using
> ntfs.  when i was running xp pro,it had no problem accessing the files on
> the other drive. does xp home support importing a foreign drive?  please
> help me save my files!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

                     visit our download web page at: