From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:54:09 -0800
The first thing to do is check your power lead....make sure it is direct to
the power supply and that it is firmly seated. You might want to put a
meter on the power lead to make sure the PS is working correctly.  I once
had what I thought was a dying hard drive that turned out to be a faulty
power lead Y. Unfortunately I had already replaced the drive before I
discovered this.

Second go to Western Digital's web page and get their utility for checking
, diagnosing and repairing their hard drives. Put the WD on one controller
by itself. Put the file on a boot floppy....do a clean boot and run it. If
it comes back and says the drive is OK then the odds are it isn't your drive.

> I have a PII-300 using Win98 and a 6.4 gig Western Digital HD. Everything
>has been running fine until last night when I tried to use the computer
>after it had been idle for a few hours. Everything was locked up so I hit
>reset. When Windows tried to run scandisk after the reset it would go to a
>certain point of the surface scan and stop with a clanking noise coming from
>the HD. If I hit reset again and cancel scandisk,  it boots normally but
>does this every time I try to run scandisk.  Any ideas? Is my HD dying?  The
>HD is only about 6 months old but I did swap it from another computer to
>this one and did a complete reformat, but it had been acting fine for the
>couple of weeks since.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>Gary Raynes

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>